Thursday, May 21, 2009

100th Post!!

I opened blogger to post today, and I saw that I had 99 posts...which makes this my 100th post!! I entered the blog world about five months ago, and it's so fun! I feel like I "know" so many of you, but I've never met or talked to you. Here's to 100 more posts!

Today was my second day on the job...I took two patients more or less on my own. I say "more or less" because I don't know the system yet, so I have to ask how to do certain things, where I put what, where things are, etc. I felt much better today even though my manager told me I looked scared to death! I promise I'm not, I just think I look nervous often...I don't hide emotions like that well. Another nurse asked how old I am (24, soon to be 25!), and she told me that I look 15. I've always looked young, but when you throw my hair up and put me in essentially a pair of pajamas, you knock another few years off. Excellent.

I'm still a fan of computer charting. And knowing the history of your patient. For some reason they don't pass this along in report, so I got really confused when my patient was on eight meds for his admitting diagnosis of nausea/vomiting/diarrhea. Apparently he had quite a few other things going on!

Anyway! Running! It got up to 80 today...yikes! My legs are tiiiiired, most likely a result of the marathon 2.5 weeks ago (you can still feel the effects this much later right?) + moving craziness + new job stress + now I'm on my feet much more. I did a short, try-to-keep-it-slow run today, and I even did good on the hills! My goal is to keep telling myself to continue to run up the hills, even if I'm going much slower. That's the only way to learn! I'm so used to even/negative splits that it's mentally difficult to see my pace be so over the place.

Thursday, May 21
3.05 miles in 24:33, avg pace of 8:03

I also lifted and did some crunches when I got back. I always start lifting, am good for about two weeks, and then I stop! I'm going to try to keep it up because: 1) Who doesn't want toned arms? 2) Strong arms will help me power up hills ! "Run with your arms!" is what was yelled at me when my legs got tired in high school. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but we'll try it. 3) I want to say that I lift. Is that bad?

The Rocket Scientist is coming over tonight! He's driving back from his brother's graduation this morning, so he should be here any time now. He has yet to see my room with assembled furniture, so it should be good. I may be a jealous runner, but at least I can brag that I have a speedy rocket scientist for a boyfriend. Here he is finishing the Delaware Marathon on Sunday:

Woohoo! More pictures are on facebook (or will be shortly!) if you like checking out marathon pictures!

20 comments:

  1. Moving/stress/heat etc. definitely affects your running. The heat has killed my last two runs. And powerful arms definitely help get you up hills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's almost the weekendddd :) rest those legs girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being on your feet for 12 hours is definitely something you have to get used to!! Some days I feel like I can barely move when I get off!! Glad you like computer charting, we just switched from paper and it's awful. Just doesn't really work in an ICU settin in my opinion! I still constantly write stuff on paper towels then chart that on the computer. Waste of time! Haha but I'm glad you are liking it so far! You will get more comfortable I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And PS: keep it up on the hilly runs! You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new job! Sounds like you are adjusting well and fitting right in. Yay!

    I've heard you should expect your recovery to take one day for every mile raced. So almost 4 weeks to fully recover from the marathon. I'd buy that.

    I'm the same way with weight lifting. Right now I"m at like 3 weeks and really want to stick with it! Keep up the good work girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! My husband and I both have baby faces. I don't think we've ever been mistakenly as young as 15 before though! haha! Woohoo! Points for you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess being a jealous runner is what makes us strive for bigger & better constantly, & what pushes us to work even harder during training.

    I'm insanely jealous of your heat wave time in Chicago '07, btw!

    Enjoy work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your 100th post in only 5 months, I think it took me almost a year! Glad to hear everything is going well at work. Hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're second day on the job went well and that you're working on those hills. You'll be used to them in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the SAME way with lifting, starting for two weeks and then FAIL. So you are not alone on that one! I just try to remind myself that I love lifting and should try to go 2x a week.

    Also, I'm glad the second day at work went better than the first! :)

    AND I agree, we would make excellent running buddies! As for the degree that you asked about, I could work in a a recreation center, a hospital wellness center, a school...anywhere that offers fitness and wellness programs. All the professional staff at my university's recreation center got that same sort of degree.

    Also, in college I ran cross country and then the mile for track (1500 outdoors). I probably wasn't really a mid-distance runner, but I definitely have that mentality because I don't like to run very far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on 100 girl!!! wow I bet that job is tiring!! I am sure that with the combination of moving and running an awesome race, your legs are just tired!! Enjoy the time and let them recover :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. are you running before or after work? IMHO it is much easier to exercise before work ... i will exercise after work if i don't have a chance to go before, but my legs are usually exhausted at that point. don't underestimate what 12+ hrs on your feet will do to your legs! (probably part of the reason my stress frx is healing so slowly :( )

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll love that youthful glow in about 5 more years...when you still get carded for 21! Way to work through the hills; your "slow" tired run is still way faster than my fast run!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't really like running in the heat yesterday, either. It's going to be a long summer!!

    Congrats on the 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's cool that you and your brother both run. Congrats on starting your new job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I get the "how old are you?" + weird look question too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really have noticed that pumping my arms more when I'm running makes a WORLD of difference. Plus, since I've got to get the arms all toned for my wedding in July, I like the extra work for them. Since I'm so slow I guess I look sort of weird pumping my arms like a madwoman while shuffling along at five miles per hour, though...

    have a lovely weekend with your man!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It must be frustrating to have people constanly telling you you look younger than you are! Ha ha, pajamas would do it though ;) Do you get to wear the cute ones with prints?

    I bet you will start out slow on those hills, but eventually you will be running them at your normal pace and be such a faster runner!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your 100th post!

    I'm 24 but look a lot younger than that, too. Most people think I'm just starting college at OSU. They tell me that one day I'll appreciate this....

    I'm bad at lifting, too. I have the same pattern..I'll do well for a couple weeks and then quit.

    ReplyDelete