Wednesday, May 20, 2009

First day as a NURSE!

Today marked my first official day as a nurse! At least, in title. I didn't feel like a nurse at all because I have no clue what I'm doing! The small community hospital where I work is TOTALLY different than Rush, which was a big city teaching hospital. I wanted to work at a hospital like Rush (such as a hospital in Philly), but I had no such luck getting a job in the city. The patient population is so different at a community hospital. At Rush, everyone is sick, whereas here the patients tended to have one thing wrong with them, not eight million things going on. Patients only had two or three meds (if that), the call lights only went off once during my shift, and everything is just...slower. During my "role transition" in December, I was often running around giving meds, charting, getting patients ready for procedures, etc etc etc. Lunch was quick, and I was tired when I was done! Today we just walked around from room to room, sat around and charted for awhile, and took a half an hour lunch where we are required to leave the floor. Totally different! I really liked Rush and the computer system and knowing lots about my patients and being able to walk around the corner and find a doc to pester with my questions. (To any docs that read this: I'm "that" nurse. I was taught it's better to ask than make a mistake! And I like to learn, yay.)

But of course, this was only day one, so we'll see how day two goes tomorrow.

I went running when I got home today, and it was toasty one! It reached the high 70's, and I was feeling it. Also, the hills around here are killing me! I don't know if it was the heat, the hills, or a combination of the two, but I had to stop and walk a few times throughout the run. When training for the Wisconsin Marathon, I didn't stop at all during my runs except to cross busy streets or to get watch/fuel during my long runs. It was something I really wanted to work on because before I would randomly stop, but that's not so good for race day since the clock keeps going when you're walking. Hopefully I just need to adjust to the heat/hills...I'm trying! If anyone has any advice on hill running (not necessarily a hill workout, but more like hills on your every day runs!), please let me know!

Wednesday, May 20
5.11 miles in 39:45, avg pace of 7:46

Note: I stopped my watch when I walked....I wasn't going that fast!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    I just found your blog through Jess' and I must say, we have a lot in common! Well, I'm not a nurse, but I recently graduated college and I'm not a huge fan of change either!! We also have some similar running times, although you are awesome because you've actually done a marathon AND qualified for Boston!! (Also, after reading some previous posts, you are not alone in feeling jealous towards faster runners. I am the same way! I think it just means that you want to get better, and that's OK). Anyways, I'll DEFINITELY be checking back!! Hope work at the hospital goes well tomorrow. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first day as a nurse! That sounds so official and impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey girl glad your first day wasn't too crazed. during runs and hills i listen to certain songs when i know i'm going up a big hill and then i just sing. its nothing too big but it seems to work most of the time. i figure if you cant do anything about the hills then you gotta find ways to conquer them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nurse Susan...congrats on the job. Sounds like a very exciting chapter for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you're the nurse that keep bugging me with questions about the patients...haha! Congrats on your first day, Ms. Susan RN...

    As for hilly runs...you just have to get used to them. Take them very slow in the beginning, slower than your normal running pace, then as you become more comfortable with them, you can tackle them at your regular speed.

    Short hill running as strength training is also a nice workout. Let me know if you're interested in that...I have some resources I can direct you to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think you will be able to adapt to the slower pace at the hospital? That would be nice if it could be less stressful (is that possible? ;) )

    I bet you will master the hills in no time! I wish I had advice for you, but I don't... you know how flat Chicagoland is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was hot here yesterday and I had a death march of a run. I remember have a handful of those last summer too and its really just the heat doing a number on you. Hills will DEFINITELY make you a better runner so embrace them! I've been blessed to always live in places with huge hills all around. I really HATE hill repeats with a passion so I won't advise them for you lol. My suggestion would be to really focus on running smooth/hard up the hills on your daily runs and then ease back a lot and recover down the hill. Try to keep your form running up and focus on breathing smoothly/relaxing. It will feel hard, but your body will adjust quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your first day! I hope you can adjust to a slower work pace! Since I'm an ICU nurse I don't think I could ever adjust to a slow work day! Ha, but that's just me:) As for hills, the more you do the better you will be at them. I actually kinda enjoy running on hills because it makes the run more interesting and I just think " once I get to the top I get to run down!" And downhills are fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My advice is the same as everyone has said--I have nothing but hills where I run (unless on the track) and I hate them, but they certainly do make you a better/stronger runner, and you do get used to them. I just try to keep my turnover quick, keep my form, and use my arms more to power up them, then recover on the flat/downhill at the top. That has seemed to help me. And I ALWAYS have music when I am on the hills.

    And CONGRATS Official RN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah - enjoy the easygoing pace at work! You'll be able to ease back more gently into things :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your first day! I'm glad you're settling into PA as best as you can! Registering cars is such a pain, but I hope it goes smoothly when your mom comes into town!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I run hills every day. It's amazing how much they affect your pace, so try not to worry about going slower. You'll get used to them and they will make you a better runner.

    ReplyDelete