Friday, February 20, 2009

Confession!

As you may (or, more likely, may not) know, my first college degree was a Bachelor of Science in dietetics. When I started college, I wanted to be a doctor. However, I didn't want to be a biology/chemistry major like every other doctor in the world, and I've always been interested in nutrition, and since nutrition is kind of a big deal in medicine (or at least it should be), I decided to major in it. This lasted almost the whole first semester when I realized that "nutrition" was more about the science-y stuff and "dietetics" was more about teaching other people about nutrition/eating right (still with plenty of science to go around, don't be fooled!). I switched my major and 3.5 years later, I have a piece of paper that would make it seem that I know what I'm talking about.

Which I do, for the most part, but that's not to say I didn't continuously eat brownies while reading my nutrition books. I'm a huge fan of irony.

Anyway, I've always pretty much been able to eat whatever I want and have my weight be fairly stable...whether that's due to running or just a fabulous metabolism is yet to be determined, but it's probably a combination of both. I eat pretty healthy in general, but I confess that I eat way more sugary food than I should. Namely: M&M's, Twizzlers/Swedish Fish/Sour Patch Kids/any gummy candy, and ice cream (!!!). Oh, and if I make chocolate chip cookies, I guarantee that I will eat at least eight per day. Life could be much worse, but I realize this isn't the best nutritionally. Therefore, starting yesterday, I've been trying to cut my sugary food intake, and I've done pretty well so far, I like to think.

Yesterday I had one fruit roll up and a small bowl of ice cream. Today, I had one Twizzler and one fruit roll up. I'm definitely all about moderation, so I don't feel bad about eating a treat every day, but I think it'll be good to cut down on the sugar food and eat more real fuel. Instead, I've been having yogurt, granola, cereal, fruit, or some combination of those. So far so good, so we'll see how this lasts. Reading food blogs has definitely been a motivator/inspiration for this change.

Back to running! It was cold (20-ish degrees) and windy when I went out for my 7 miles at "pace," so naturally it took me a little while to drag my butt out there. On my out-and-back run, the "out" part is into the wind, which makes it nice for coming "back." I realize how much more I have to work running into the wind, because the pace seems difficult on the way out, but on the way back, the miles just fly by! Case in point:

Friday, February 20th
7.07 miles in 54:07, avg pace of 7:39

First half: 3.5 miles in 27:38, avg pace of 7:54
Second Half: 3.5 miles in 26:00, avg pace of 7:26

What a difference...just goes to show what effect the weather may have on running. We're supposed to get snow tonight...anywhere from 2-10 inches depending who you ask, so that should make it interesting on the roads this weekend! My big plans for the weekend include a 10 mile long run (cut back week!), and going to the Auto Show with my dad to check out some awesome cars. Should be fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment