Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Susie Homemaker...maybe not for long??

I had a late night last night! I decided I wanted to try to make some homemade bread, so I went and got all the ingredients for a whole wheat honey bread. It was pretty simple to make, but I really had no clue what I was doing! I never knew if the bread rose enough or not, so I just kept waiting a little bit longer. I was tired from my long run, but I watched some Gilmore Girls while I was waiting, even though it was 11pm! I finally popped the bread into the oven just before midnight, so I wasn't up to snacking when the bread finished...but I had something to look forward to this morning! This is what I ended up with:


Like I said, I'm not sure it really rose that well, so it's pretty dense, but it tastes quite good! You can see that I had a little snack from the slice I cut off, and I also had a slice for breakfast. (With some peanut butter and banana, of course!)
I think that it was good for my first attempt!

Other exciting news...

I woke up to my phone ringing, which was confusing because I thought it was my alarm (makes the same sound!). I saw that the number was a Philadelphia area code, so I got really excited because I figured it was a hospital calling me! My "just woke up" voice is pretty terrible, so I tried my hardest to sound like I'd been awake for hours (...even though it was 8:45 in the morning), and I think it worked! I have an interview set up for late next week!

Definitely excited about a job prospect...for those nurses out there, it's on a medical/surgical floor, and it's for the evening shift. Does anyone work the evening shift? The nurses I talked to during clinicals said they loved their job and the people they work with, but really don't like the evening shift because they don't have a social life at all (the floor I was on hired a lot of young nurses in their 20's). The plus side to evening shift is that you get to sleep like a normal person...and I could get my runs in before work! But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Run today! My legs were a little stiff this morning, but I was excited about my early morning (it's a relative term!) job excitement.

Tuesday, March 10
4.05 miles in 33:48, avg pace of 8:20

I did some crunches and a few upper body weights...I remember how they used to help when I did them on a more regular basis, so hopefully I can stick with it. My weight lifting knowledge is a result of watching other runners lift during high school cross country/track, so I kind of make it up as I go...

3 comments:

  1. VERY exciting news!!!! good luck with the interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My senior clinical rotation was evening shift, & I liked it. I got a lot done during the day before going to the hospital.

    A friend of mine who was a nurse at NYC also worked eves, & getting out at 11:30p didn't hamper her social life - she said that's when all the real fun began. Philly's a little different though.

    I'd see what the opportunities are to change shifts. Worse case scenario - you work eves for a while, but at least you get your foot in the door & some experience, which'll make it easier for you to move around.

    GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i 100% agree with Joy ... get your foot in the door, and go from there. i really wanted to work in the ICU but all the positions were filled when i applied so i started out in med-surg and moved to the ICU after 8 or 9 months. also, i'm not sure what hours "evenings" are but they don't sound terrible. i figure you'll be working 3 or 4 shifts a week, right? you can make it work. :)

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete